Happy Tuesday everyone! I have been reflecting a lot lately. Concentrating on the things that matter. -I wanted to share what I have hanging in my classroom.
Mrs. H’s classroom door. Rules & Rainbows! :)
Mrs. H’s Rules to live by…
- Be honest and kind…. Always. No exceptions.
- Do the right thing…. because it is the right thing to do.
- Eat you vegetables.
As I do on the first day of school, let me elaborate on each rule’s importance and meaning.
I wanted to write 10 rules- that was too many. I tried to make a single rule that encompassed everything- that was too few and too hard. I wrote three- that was just right. (Goldie locks anyone?!)
Rule #1: Be honest & kind…. Always. No exceptions.
- There is no reason to lie. Ever. Life is lived better when the truth is the only option. Lying is not an option, it is not the truth. Life becomes confusing when we lie. People can not trust someone who has lied to them and it says something about your character. Go out of your way to be honest.
- There is no reason to not be kind. Ever. Being unkind is not kind. I know that sounds simple; but seriously, what is ever truly gained from being unkind? The happiest people in life are those who go out of their way to be kind to others. Search for ways to be kind. Go out of your way to be kind.
- Deep within our inner being, we know what is the right thing to do in a situation and what is the wrong thing to do in situation…. Do the right thing. It may be hard; but do the right thing. When you follow your conscious – don’t do it for the reward you may get, don’t do it for a pat on the back, don’t do it to impress others- do it ONLY because it is the right thing to do.
- This is good for your body. I say this because I want your body to love you. I say this because I want you to love your body. I know, sometimes they taste yucky. (saying to 3rd graders…) Suck it up and learn to like them. They are the one thing your body craves and all science agrees that they are a necessity. Eat them and don’t complain.