Do any of you like carrot cake? …. I do!… My grandma used to make THE BEST carrot cake in the world! I am missing her like crazy, always do.
This is a picture of her and me at a cousin’s wedding….. years ago. But, that is all I have. She passed away and my world fell apart. I don’t get to have a picture with her on my wedding day, I hated that.
She and I lead lives that are exactly the same, only mine came 70 years after hers. We were connected. We are still connected and I miss her every passing day.
Do you like how I tease you with the finished picture first…. Cruel, know!
Carrot cake squares
What you need:
- 1 1/2 c. grated carrots
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 3/4 c. raisons
- 1 c. water
- 1/2 c. orange juice
- 2 tbsp coconut oil (butter if you don’t have coconut oil)
- You’ll mix all of these together and then microwave on high for 2 minutes!
- Let it set out for 10 to become ‘warm’ instead of ‘hot’ Then you’ll add the following to the mix:
- 1 1/2 c. whole wheat flour (white whole wheat works too!)
- 1/2 c. oat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 c. chopped walnuts (they will be folded in at the end!)
The carrots make the cake, for real! Don’t skimp on the grated carrots, they make it truly delish!Here it is in the microwave, not 100% sure why it says to microwave it, but it does. So, I do it…. I think it helps plump the raisons? This is my guess…
Let it sit for 10 minutes after you take it out of the microwave. Then add the dry ingredients. FOLD in the walnuts.
Question: Do you make anything to take you back to a time or remind you of someone? ….How about those childhood favorites that take you back?