There was this one time, I moved to New York and lived 20 minutes away from a Trader Joe’s. I remember the first time I dipped my spoon into that pumpkin butter. It was love at first bite!
Well, I moved back to Kansas and couldn’t get my paws on the stuff. I thought it was going to be the end of me. For real, I was going to have pervious students ship the stuff to me. It was an addiction.
You’ll all be glad to know that I overcame Pumpkin Butter addiction when I went through detox. I had to go through detox when I moved back to the midwest, I wouldn’t have gone willingly. Family and friends would have had to have an intervention.
So, after detox. I could slowly introduce the stuff back into my diet. But, I had to improvise and make the stuff on my own. SO…… make it on my own I did.
♥Homemade Pumpkin Butter♥
What you’ll need:
- 1 (29 ounce) can pumpkin puree, approx. 3 1/2 cups or fresh
- 3/4 cup apple juice + splash of pineapple juice (the splash is optional, I just wanted to add it to add a twist from last time I made it…)
- 1.5 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1.5 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp of Xanthan Gum (optional, I liked that it made it thicker!)
- Juice of half a lemon
1. Combine pumpkin, apple juice, spices, xanthan gum, and sugar in a large saucepan and stir well. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered with lid ajar, for 35-45 minutes, stirring frequently. BE CAREFUL! THIS BABY WILL POP AND SPLATTER. OUCH! Long sleeves and *cute* apron recommended!
2. Remove from heat. Adjust spices to taste. Stir in lemon juice (I’m using lime juice next time!). Once cool, pumpkin butter can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 weeks. Makes enough to fill one large mason jar or about 3.5 cups.